Ylivieska’s cultural services include museum services, which in turn include Helaala Mill and Puuhkala local history museum. These historically important sites and their buildings are building-historical and culture-historical sites, which have been marked with the partially protected site status. Helaala Mill and Puuhkala local history museum are maintained appropriately in accordance with the Finnish National Board of Antiquities’ guidelines. Both museum sites also operate as estrades of regulatory cultural activities in many cultural events.

Helaalan Mylly

Helaala Mill, which has been classified as a valuable protected site in terms of its cultural history, building history and milieu, is located at the shore of Kalajoki in the city centre of Ylivieska.

The mills channel structures and machinery date back to 1884. The building was damaged in a fire in 1942. The current mill building was built in 1943-44 in accordance with the original log building. Helaala Mill was in operation until the 1980s.

The Government issued a protection order on the mill in 1992. Helaala Mill Foundation, which aimed to protect and maintain the site, was founded in 1999. Helaala Mill Foundation donated the protected site to the City of Ylivieska in 2017, when Finland celebrated 100 years of independence.

Helaala Mill is open to the public during the summer. During the summer, you can visit the protected site and participate in guided tours. In the summer, the mill has a tourist information point, handicrafts shop, nostalgic café and Cultural Centre Akustiikka’s ticket sales. Small-scale cultural events and the Mill Fair [Myllymarkkinat], which has already become a tradition, are part of Helaala Mill’s summer activities.

Avoinna kesällä 2022

10.6.–7.8.  ti-pe klo 10–17 ja la-su klo 10–15.

Helaalan myllyllä palvelee kesäkahvila ja monipuolinen käsityöläismyymälä. Henkilökunta esittelee myllyn historiaa mielellään. Akustiikan lipunmyynti siirtyy 10.6.–7.8. Helaalan myllylle ja palvelee aukioloaikojen puitteissa. Tervetuloa!

Helaalan Mylly contact info

Akustiikan lipunmyynti
044 4294 545


Helaalan Mylly address

Kauppakatu 12, 84100 Ylivieska

Helaalan Mylly on facebook

Helaalan myllyn facebook-sivut

Puuhkalan museo, Ylivieskan kotiseutumuseo

Puuhkala Museum was established in 1969 by Ylivieska Local Heritage Association which has collected the majority of the museum area’s buildings and artefacts. Nowadays, the museum is managed by the City of Ylivieska.

Primarily, Puuhkala is a peasant museum. The museum’s different buildings exhibit artefacts from other industries too, such as handicraft and service sectors. The museum area consists of 15 buildings and they contain more than 7,000 artefacts. Artefacts continue to be collected.

The local history museum’s largest exhibition is the milk jug collection, which includes approximately 400 milk jugs and approximately 200 creamers. The milk jug collection aims to be further expanded.

The summery service entity includes Summer Café Kerttu and guided museum tours as well as various events related to culture and folklore.

Descriptions of the museum area’s buildings can be found further below on this page.

Avoinna kesällä 2022

29.6.-7.8.2022 ke-pe klo 11–17 ja la-su klo 11–15.
Lämpimästi tervetuloa tutustumaan museonäyttelyihin ja kesän taidenäyttelyihin. Kesäkahvila Kerttu palvelee aukioloaikoina.

Pääsymaksu kesällä 2022

Museorakennuksiin vapaa pääsy.

Opastetut kierrokset kesällä 2022

Puuhkalassa järjestetään ryhmille opastettuja kierroksia rakennuksissa. Lisätiedot ja varaukset museosihteeriltä.

1 – 6 henkilöä20 €
7-10 henkilöä30 €
11-20 henkilöä40 €

Puuhkalan cultivation boxes

Hire a cultivation box from Puuhkala local history museum and make your dream of having a green thumb true!

You can hire one parcel of land for 25€. Two or more parcels of land for 20€ per parcel. Prices include VAT 24%.

Hires and enquiries by phone 040 6720 503 or by email to

In case of any problems with the cultivation boxes please contact us by phone 044 4294 517 or email

Järvelä House event services

Järvelä House is excellently suited for small events and as a meeting or training venue throughout the year. If necessary, we organise coffee and event catering according to your wishes. Any enquiries concerning hires and catering as well as further information from the event manager or museum secretary.

Järvelän talo sisältä
Inside of House of Järvelä
Järvelän talo sisältä
Inside of House of Järvelä

Museum area’s buildings

Museum operations in Ylivieska were initiated by the Local Heritage Association, which was established in 1949. The Local Heritage Association acquired a land area of almost four hectares, called Pahahaka, as the museum’s plot and moved all the buildings to the area from different locations. Most of the buildings are from Ylivieska. Nowadays, Puuhkala museum is owned by the City of Ylivieska after it was donated to the city by the Local Heritage Association in 1985.

Click the name of the building below and further details will be shown. By clicking on the photos, you can open enlarged versions in new tabs. Presentations of the buildings can also be found in the eMuseo service.

Puuhkala contact info

Pehkonen Kati
044 4294 441


Puuhkala’s address

Puuhkalantie 6, 84100 Ylivieska

Puuhkala in Facebook

Museon facebook-sivut

Hay barn where the hay collected from the fields was placed for storage and used, where necessary, e.g., for cattle and horses.

The barn does not have many walls so that air can circulate in the building, preventing the hay from going mouldy.

In the autumn of 1986, the Otto Raudasoja barn, brought to the yard area from Raudaskylä, was erected in the museum area. The barn dates back to the 1790s.

It contains a lot of equipment related to agriculture and cattle care.

Heikintalon riihi.

The drying barn was moved to the museum area from Mattila in 1974.

In the rooms at both ends of the building, the grains were dried in stalls and threshed with flails in the middle of the building. The drying barn had stoves at both ends. Under the barn floor, there is a chaff room and at the front, a knock-out to winnow grain. The chaffs of the grain, i.e. the waste, was placed in the chaff room.

The drying barn was a building that children in particular feared, and they would quickly run past it. It was common to say that the drying barns were haunted because the deceased would be kept there. So, even a boy from Mattila would say that you had to run past the drying barn during the dark autumn evenings.

Stenbäckin talo eli Vattehuusi.

The first building, moved to the area from a couple of kilometres away to become the museum’s main building in 1969, was donated to the Local Heritage Association by the market town.

The building is made of old pine trees, i.e. the building materials have been brought from the downstream of Kalajoki, where the best-looking construction logs were obtained since the best wood in the regional forests had been used for tar burning. The age of the building is unknown but its history is interesting, and for this reason, it is excellently suited as a museum building.

During the hunger years 1867-68, the building operated as a work room for the poor. The frost destroyed the grain at the time and the moving population had to be cared for so the local authority decided to establish a temporary work room for the poor here in the Stenbäck cabin. It started its operations in December 1867. To maintain the work room, funds were collected from the farmers as well as the domestic staff. Among the people, the work room was known as the Vattehuus, which derives from the Swedish words fattig hus (house of the poor). The museum’s main building is still known as Vattehuus.

A school has also operated in Stenbäck’s buildings. Kataja School started operating in them in 1927. The completion of the new school was late, so rental premises had to be acquired. Even later, a school operated in Vattehuus.

Sylvi Perkkiö’s room: With her donation, Sylvi (1901-1966) has made it possible to acquire the Puuhkala museum area and initiate its construction. The second room of this building, the so-called entrance room has been named as Sylvi’s room and it has been furnished with furniture she donated.

Pietari Päivärinta’s room: Pietari (1827-1913) was a church officer, author and a parliamentarian. The main subjects Päivärinta worked in favour of included, e.g., the railway, Ostrobothnia’s railway, travelling via Ylivieska.

The room also features various men’s and women’s tools.

Lukkarila farm’s barn was the second building to be moved to Puuhkala.

Its construction year is unknown but it is assumed to be approximately the same age as Vattehuus.

Barn was donated mv. Eino Taanila.

The museum’s sauna was originally built as a forest cabin in Joonala in the 1930s.

Joonala was named after an event when five men called Joonas (one of them was Joonas Männistö) had been working there at the same time. They built the building as a “resting cabin”.

According to a second story, the Ylivieska congregation built a cabin on this site as the forest workers’ apartment in 1927. It had been built by 4 men called Joonas: Joonas Heikkilä, Joonas Sakko, Joonas Latvakoski and Joonas Helaala. The cabin was named Joonala after its builders.

A slightly more modern version of the traditional grain drying barn, which became more common as a result of the drying equipment that operated with natural draught.

Due to the typically humid and cold autumns in Northern Europe, grain was dried to improve its preservation, so that it would withstand storage and produce a good harvest. In connection with drying, any pests were cleaned from the grain with the smoke of the stoves.

Jaakolan aitta.

Jaakkola barn was originally built on the Ilvesoksa farm in Raudaskylä, on the home farm of Alpo Jaakkola’s wife.

The Jaakkola family donated the barn to the museum at the beginning of the 21st century after which it was assembled in the museum area with the help of volunteers.

The preservation of veteran tradition was started at the museum in 2006 and the artefacts are exhibited in the downstairs exhibition room of the barn. The exhibition includes, e.g., Lotta-themed artefacts, wartime hobby crafts and other war-themed artefacts.

Alpo Jaakola’s local heritage department: The Law and Evangelicalism home museum founded by Alpo Jaakola was located in the Jaakola house in the city centre of Ylivieska. The museum exhibited artefacts related to the building’s history, such as official authorities’ artefacts, war artefacts, artefacts related to inn operations as well as written materials related to pietism.

After the death of Jaakola, the home museum was closed in 2014 and the museum’s artefacts have been relocated in different departments of the Puuhkala Local Museum as well as, e.g., Oulu’s provincial museum, Finland’s scout museum in Turku and Weteraanimoottorikerho Wanhan Woima ry. Written materials have been moved to the local heritage department of Ylivieska’s city library.

Puuhkala’s local history department exhibits artefacts related to Jaakola’s inn operations as well as materials related to the history of Jaakola’s mill and Juho Jaakola’s travels to St. Petersburg. Jaakola house’s connection to pietism has also been provided its own space.

Timlinin talo.

The house has originally been built by a man named Kippo (Kippola) in the 1700s. The logs have been floated from the downstream of Kalajoki. Timlin’s house has originally situated on the northern side of the river from where it was moved to the southern side in the 1800s.

During the recession, in the 1930s, the house was the subject of a compulsory auction and Artturi Timlin purchased the house, keeping it in the family.

Milk jug museum: In the spring of 1995, the renovation of Timlin house was completed and in June, the milk jug museum’s opening ceremony was held.
The collection of milk jugs in the municipality, which is still ongoing, started in 1991. The initiative was made by local counsellor Kerttu Lämsä who, alongside Ylivieska’s Local Heritage Association, has had a significant input in growing the collection.

The milk jug museum has 720 jugs from around the world. Approximately half of the items are Arabia production and the oldest jugs date back to the late 1800s.

In addition to local donators, milk jugs have been donated by, e.g., Katri Helena, Kyllikki ja Johannes Virolainen, Eeva Kuuskoski and during Martti Ahtisaari’s term of office, the presidential palace provided a donation.
The milk jug collection continues to be grown with the acquisitions of collectable jugs.

Upstairs: a temporary art exhibition open during the summer.

The building was moved to the museum area from Koskipuhto in the summer of 2017 and it was originally Suojala’s old cabin.

It operated as Simo Pälli’s (1906-1984) atelier from 1953.

Simo was born in Niemelänkylä to Feodor Pälliijeff and Irene Afanasjeff. Father Feodor had a shop in Niemelänkylä.

The family enjoyed drawing and painting. Soon, Simo was found to be talented and he improved his skills by studying independently.

Simo Pälli became Ylivieska’s first professional artist. His career as an artist lasted from 1927 until 1982.

Pälli is known for his landscape paintings, and his subjects include, e.g. Lapland’s nature. He went on several painting trips to Lapland.

A traditional milk platform from the 1970s where the village greetings were usually exchanged.

A milk platform is often a sheltered, sometimes also walled, platform or frame to which the dairy supplies, i.e. milk churns, were brought to wait for the milk van.

Letterboxes were also often situated on the milk platforms and they also operated as meeting places for young people.


The warehouse has previously been located in the centre of Ylivieska and the name of the building was kassapuoji.

The warehouse was once owned by a mantal community and people could borrow grain for seeds. In the autumn, when the harvest had been collected, the debt was repaid.

The outer walls of the warehouse are double log walls and there is an empty space between them, and stones were sometimes placed between the walls so that thieves were not able to steal the grain.

Downstairs: children’s world with old times’ toy exhibitions and activity corners.

Middle floor: Equipment of Ylivieska’s first pharmacy, which includes almost one thousand pharmacy artefacts. Pharmacist Herman Forsman started operating a pharmacy in the area in 1903.

Top floor: handicrafts departments.

  • The women’s handicrafts department includes artefacts related to wool and linen processing as well as fabric weaving.
  • Stonework department, with roots in Ylivieska dating back to the early 1900s, when stones were quarried and shaped stones were made of rock to make foundation stones for buildings and ballast for railways. Mikko Kivi (born in 1880) started professional quarry operations.
  • The cobbler department exhibits tools used by cobbler Kalle Virtanen.
  • In Rikhard Kontio’s department, the largest artefacts include a manual drill, electric lathe and a workbench. Examples of lathe-produced works are also exhibited.
  • Blacksmith Iivari Korhonen’s shoeing equipment and horseshoes.
  • Puuhkala’s outhouse has been brought over from Kähtävä in Alavieska and it is the only building at Puuhkala museum, which is from outside the region.
  • According to the year on the building, it has been sealed in Mattila in Kähtävä in 1842.
  • In the barn previously owned by Eino Valli, Vasili Kontulainen from White Karelia operated a shop (nowadays the milk room).
  • The outbuilding has also been a so-called girls’ outbuilding and upstairs, the first room is the girls’ room, the second is a room containing wilderness equipment and the third room contains forestry equipment.

Puuhkala’s huussi was brought from Alavieska from Kähtava and is indeed the only out-of-town building in the Puuhkala museum

According to the year on the building, it was salvoed by Kähtävä in Mattila’s purhod in 1842.

The barn formerly owned by Eino Valli once housed the shop of Vasili Kontulainen from Vienna-Karelia (now a dairy).

Aitta has also been a so-called the girls’ shed and the first room on the upper floor is the girls’ room, the second is a room with hiking equipment and the third is a room with forest tools.

Järvelä house was originally built in Kaski in Ojakylä and from there it was moved to Järviperä in the 1860s and to the museum area in the 1970s.

It is the museum area’s second residential building which has a living room, entrance hallway and three bedrooms.

The building currently operates as a local heritage house where Café Kerttu as well as a museum shop is operated. It can also be hired for various events, such as for weddings and birthdays.

A temporary exhibition is annually held in the bedroom.

Jaa sosiaalisessa mediassa: